1932 Obits from the Jasper News

January 1, 1932

“Miss Alderman Laid To Rest Monday”

Miss Mamie Alderman, a former resident of Hamilton county, died in a Tampa hospital Saturday, December 20th and the remains were brought to Jennings and laid to rest in the cemetery there Monday, Rev. J.L. Hunter, pastor of the Methodist church having the funeral services in charge.

The deceased was the daughter of Zill and Amanda Alderman, late of this county. She is survived by four sisters and two brothers: Mrs. Philip Hiers, Mrs. Henry Blair, Mrs. John Hall Dees, Mrs. J.W. Williams, and Bert Alderman of this county. Another brother, Gordon Alderman, resides in Georgia.

Miss Alderman was a member of the Christian church, her membership being in Hamilton county in a church in the western section.

Previous to her death, Miss Alderman made all her funeral arrangements, even to selecting her casket and attending to the minor details, and every effort was made to carry out her last wishes.

January 1, 1932

“Arzero Peeples Commits Suicide”

Mr. Arzero A. Peeples committed suicide in a hotel in Perry, Ga., Friday afternoon, December 25th, by shooting himself through the head.

He left Jasper about ten o’clock Friday morning. He stopped in Valdosta and spent a short time with his sister, Mrs. Roy Shaw, and went on to Perry. He registered at the hotel and being shown his room, told the bell boy to return in 20 minutes. He did so and found him lying on the bed wounded, with four notes and a pistol lying near him.

Physicians were summoned and after examination said there was no need to take him to a hospital, and he died shortly after midnight.

One of the notes, addressed to his wife, said: “Darling, when I kissed you good-bye you did not know I was going to die. Please take care of yourself. I hope to meet you in Heaven some day.”

Another note, addressed to the people of Perry said: “Please have mercy on me for what I have done and see that I have a decent burial.”

A third note requested that his sister, Mrs. Shaw, be notified.

The fourth note addressed to his sister, was not made public.

On the night of February 19, 1931, his father, Mr. W.L. Peeples, was murdered in cold blood manner as he left his garage at his home to go to his house. Young Peeples and Mr. Hilliard, a laborer on the Peeples plantation, were held for awhile in connection with the murder, but as no direct evidence could be obtained by the grand jury they were released.

Wednesday night of last week Mr. Arzero Peeples severely whipped Miss Mary Merrett who was a house made at the Peeples home at the time of the murder, and Thursday afternoon on the streets of Jasper the differences between the Merrett family and young Peeples were renewed, friends intervening and separating them to keep down from further trouble.

Sheriff hunter has been working for evidence in the killing of Mr. W.L. Peeples and since the tragedy of last week has been successful in a large degree and has arrested Mr. Hilliard and he in now in the county jail.

The body of young Peeples left Perry, Ga., at 3 a.m., Saturday morning for his home in seven miles south of Jasper. Interment was in the Peeples cemetery Sunday afternoon at 3 o’clock, Rev. R.P. McPherson, pastor of the Jasper Baptist church, conducting the service, arrangements being held in charge of the Wilson Funeral Association of Lake City.

The pall bearers were, F.M. Henderson, John Henderson, C.A. Avriett, J.A. Harrison, W.J. Prayther, and J.W. Mitchell.

Mr. Peeples is survived by one brother, Mr. Mitchell Driscoll of Ocilla, Ga., and three sisters, Mrs. Roy Shaw of Valdosta, Mrs. L.R. Taylor of White Springs and Mrs. A.A. Lee of Live Oak.

His untimely death is regretted by a large circle of friends and all of our people regret and deeply sympathize with the other members of the family upon the pall of darkness cast around them by the happenings over which they had no control and could not help.

January 1, 1932

“World War Veteran Dies”

Mr. R.N. Sessions died at the Dodge Hospital, Oteen, N.C., Dec. 21st, from the effects of being gassed during the war. His body was shipped to his home at Jennings and laid to rest in Hebron cemetery on December 24th, Elders T.T. Law and M.M. Fiveash conducting the service.

Mr. Sessions was born at Little River, S.C., coming to Florida with his parents when only a small boy. He was a mechanic by trade and worked in a number of sections of the State, gaining the love and friendship of all with whom he had worked or had dealings. He was a member of the Baptist church and a true worshipper of his Lord and maker.

He was 37 years of age, and served 18 months in France during the World War, and was a member of the American Legion. He is survived by his widow and four children, Trammell, Norman, Verona, and Carlmina; two brothers, A.D. Sessions of Tampa, and H.C. Sessions of Otenn, N.C., and one sister, Mrs. Ethel Rawles of Bainbridge, Ga.

He has lost his last battle and crossed over “the river, to rest under the shade of the trees.”

January 1, 1932

Ray Burnham, Jr., the little nine months old son of Mr. and Mrs. Ray Burham of the ninth district, died Wednesday of last week after an illness of twenty days. He was laid to rest in Hebron cemetery on Thursday evening, Elder M.M. Fiveash officiating. The little one is forever blessed.

January 1, 1932

“Leeton Morgan Killed by Austin Herring”

Wednesday afternoon about 4 o’clock Leeton Morgan was shot by Austin Herring, the bullet entering the stomach. Morgan lingered until early Thursday morning and died from the result of the bullet wound.

The shooting took place in the eighth district near Westlake. Both men are farmers and of prominent families, and were reared in that section.

Mr. Herring is under arrest charged with murder.

Mr. Morgan is survived by his widow and several children.

February 5, 1932

“An Old Citizen Crosses The River”

Mr. Daniel Harrell of Genoa, died Friday afternoon, January 29, at six o’clock, and was buried at Friendship cemetery Sunday at eleven o’clock, January 31.

The pallbearers were Roy Adams, F.P. Cason, J.D. Wetherington, Grif Register, Frank Henderson and Mallory Tavell. Wilson Burial Association of Lake City was in charge. Rev. H.H. Thompson, pastor of the Genoa Baptist church officiated and paid a very high tribute to the memory of the deceased.

He is survived by his wife, Mrs. Julia Harrell, one son, Mr. Edgar Harrell, and one daughter, Mrs. J.H. Hogans, all of Genoa, twenty grand children and twenty-two great grand children.

Uncle Dan, as he was affectionately called by his many friends, was a good man in all the relations of life. He was a good neighbor and no one ever called upon him in time of need and went away empty handed.

He was about 76 years of age. His work is ended and he has crossed over the river to rest until awakened by his Savior.

February 5, 1932

“Mrs. N.H. Connell, Dead”

Mrs. N.H. Connell of Valdosta, died at her home in that city at midnight Thursday, January 28th, after an illness of several months, death being a sweet release from pain and suffering.

She was born, reared and educated in Jasper, the daughter of the late George W. Duncan, and was known by her friends here as Miss Lottie. For a long time she was associatied with Tuten and Harrison as sales lady, and after severing her connection with them, worked with her father in the Jasper postoffice until she was married to Mr. Connell about seventeen years ago.

She was a member of the Methodist church for years, a consecrated christian, a faithful wife, and a devoted mother, living in deeds and service, not in time. Her devcotion to her mother, Mrs. Olive Duncan, and invalid, for whom she cared for until she was far spent by the dreadful disease which took her away, was marvelous. Never complaining she battled disease bravely and bore the burden, rendering service to others.

She was 42 years of age, and is survived by her husband and six children, Annette, Kenneth, Marjorie, Jack, Harriett and Sarah Elizabeth; her mother, and two brothers, J.W. Duncan of Bartow, and G.C. Duncan of Atlanta.

She was buried in the Jennings cemetery last Friday afternoon after the funeral had been concluded in the Jennings Mehtodist church, being conducted by Rev. J.L. Hunter of the Jasper Methodist church, assisted by Rev. J.P. Dell of Valdosta, and Rev. F.P. McCall of Jasper, Ulmer Undertakers of Valdosta, being in charge.

A good woman has finished her work and joined the angel host of her Lord.

February 5, 1932

“A Card Of Thanks”

To the New Hope Sunday School:

I desire to extend my sincere thanks to you all for the shower you gave me. I appreciate everything that was given me more than I can express in words.

I feel lonely and sad since my husband has been taken away from me. I hope God will bless every one of you with great blessings and help you in carrying on your Sunday School work. Pray for me that I may have strength, and that I may raise my child as a christian that some day he will meet his papa in the other world.

Thanking you all,
Mrs. Cora Lee Morgan
Widow of Leaton Morgan

February 12, 1932

“Prof. Stephen’s Father Dead”

John Alvin Stephens, Sr., passed away at the home of his son, Prof. P.B. Stephens, Friday, February 5, 1932, about 9:05 P.M. in the seventy fifth year of his life. He had been sick about ten days, developing pneumonia about a week before he died.

Mr. Stephens was born June 7, 1857, and married a Miss Sarah Ripley about 1880. To this union were born five children, four surviving, Horace and Roscoe Stephens of Wartrace, Tennessee, and Prof. P.B. Stephens of Jasper, and Prof. J.A. Stephens of Jennings, a daughter dying in infancy. Mrs. Stephens preceded her husband to the grave in 1924.

Mr. Stephens was of a prominent pioneer family of Bedford County, Tennessee, where he was born and where he had always made his home, except for the past two winters he had spent with his sons in this county. He had been a devoted member of the Primitive Baptist Church for may years, always displaying keen interest in the work of the church, the study of the scriptures, and what he believed were the duties of man to God. He has always been a strong adherent of the scriptural charge, “Do unto others as you would have others do unto you.” He believed that success did not lie in the accumulation of wealth, but in the service he could render his fellow man, and those in distress always found in him a counsellor and friend. True service to others was the rule by which he measured his life and during he short part of his life he spent here the same ideal that had characterized his long life was noticeable by the friends he made here.

Mr. Stephens was a farmer, always took an active interest in agriculture, and his interest in better farming methods was keen right up to his death. He was always interested in the political affairs of his state and country, always weighing both sides of all questions and taking the side he believed to be right. Such a life has been a benefactor to mankind and must be a benediction to his children.

After brief funeral services at the home here Saturday morning by Rev. V.G. Thomas, the body was shipped to Wartrace, Tennessee to be interred in the family cemetery at that place by the side of his wife.

February 12, 1932

“Cut To Death By Negro”

Mr. L.C. Mansfield, age 30, stepson of Mr. J.J. Stephens, was stabbed in the back and chest by a negro in front of the section house at Tyler in Gilchrist county last Sunday afternoon, and died in the hospital at Gainesville where he was carried for treatment, on Wednesday afternoon. His body was prepared for burial and shipped to Baker’s Mill and interement was in Hebron cemetery Thursday afternoon.

The Negro charged with the murder was apprehended Monday and lodged in the Trenton jail and on Tuesday morning was removed to another jail for safe keeping and to avoid mob violence.

The many friends in this county of Mr. and Mrs. Stephens regret the death of their son and sympathize with them in their bereavement.

February 26, 1932

“Little Mary Frances Duke Taken By Death”

Little Mary Frances Duke died in Lake City at the home of her sister, Mrs. Lou Ellis McLain, on February 16th. She was born at Claxton, Ga., March 10th, twelve years ago next month. She was the daughter of Mrs. and Mrs. B.F. Duke of this city. She leaves to mourn her going her mother and father and several brothers and sisters.

Mary Frances was an active member of the Methodist church, being a member of the Junior League and the Sunday School. She was an unusually loveable child with the sweetest disposition. Every one who knew her loved her. Her short life is like a flower that dies before it is full bloom, but unlike the flower in that her life will bloom all its fullness and gory in the land of Eternal Day. God needed another little angel and took Mary Frances to fill the place. We will miss this little one from our midst but know where to find her. She cannot come back to us but we can go to her.

Interment was made in the city cemetery at Claxton, Ga., on Wednesday, February 17th, after services held in the First Methodist church of Claxton. Every pastor in Claxton was present and assisted Rev. J.L. Hunter her pastor in the funeral serveces. Rev. J.L. Hunter and Rev. F.P. McCall accompanied the family to Claxton.

February 26, 1932


George H. Wynn, who departed this life on the night of February 18, at 9:30 o’clock, was buried in Evergreen cemetery Saturday afternoon at two o’clock, the funeral arrangements being in charge of the Tuten Undertaking Parlors, and the services being conducted by Rev. R.P. McPherson pastor of the First Baptist Church, assisted by Rev. C.D. Cooper of the Church of God.

The active pall bearers were: R.S. Adams, Judge B.B. Johnson, Fred David, Wilmer Sapp, Bamberg Harrell. Honorary pall bearers being W.B. Lewis, B.S. McCain, O.P. Hewitt, J.A. Mitchell, M.W. Wetherington, J.A. Harrison.

George Wynn was born at Live Oak, Fla., in 1875, being 57 years of age at the time of his death. The greatest portion of his life was spent in Jasper.

He is survived by three children, McIlvaine Wynn of Atlanta, Courtney Wynn of New York, and Horace Wynn of Jasper. One sister, Mrs. H.M. Tuten of Jasper, and one brother, Mr. Horace Wynn of Pierson, Fla.

George Wynn was as honest as the day is long, and his word was as good as a gilt edge bond. Like all other human beings he had his faults and hi peculiarities, but the good of his nature far outweighed the bad, the only harm he ever did was to himself, never at any time uttering a word against anyone else or doing anything to injure or wound the feelings of a fellowman. He was deeply religious, but to only a few very intimate friends did he ever talk of his christian beliefs or experiences and never made an open show of his help to those in need. He was plain spoken, had his own convictions and never tried to hide them, his friends always knowing where to place him.

If as it has been said by some writer: “An honest man is the nobles work of God,” then George Wynn is among the nobility of the Kingdom of God.

May sweet rest be his until summoned to arise by the Creator of all.

February 26, 1932

“Death of Rober McAlpin Jordan”

The Death Angel visited the home of Mr. and Mrs. E.B. Jordan of White Springs, February 12, and took the precious little infant home to heaven. He was only six months old but was loved by everyone. He was a sweet loving baby. He is gone to rest but will never be forgotten by those who knew him.

Two who loved him,
Teachers of McAlpin School

February 26, 1932

“Marshal Fowler Kills Escaped Convict”

Willie Rodgers, an escaped convict from the Lowndes county camp, serving a life sentence for murder, was shot and instantly killed by marshal I. E. Fowler of Jasper, about one o’clock Thursday afternoon in the Wynn quarters near Black’s turpentine still in the edge of town.

The sheriff’s office had been notified by the deputy sheriff of Lowndes county to be on the watch for him, telling the sheriff at the time that he was a dangerous man. The sheriff located him in a house occupied by a man by the name of Grimsley, a brother in law of the slain man, and the sheriff called on Mr. Fowler to assist him in making the arrest. The sheriff went in at the front door, the marshal going to the back door. Rodgers started our at the back door and saw marshal Fowler and raised his pistol to shoot the marshal, but was too slow, the marshal being prepared shot him dead, two shots being fired, one taking effect in the breast and the other in the neck, death being instantly.

Judge B.B. Johnson empannelled a coronors jury, and after viewing the body and hearing the evidence, the jury returned a verdict of justifiable homicide.

March 11, 1932

“112 Year Old Darkey Passes”

Chaney Dancer, colored, died at her home three miles east of Jasper last Saturday and was buried Sunday. “Aunt Chaney” as she was called by everybody who knew her, was 110 to 115 years of age according to the best information obtainable. She has gone to her final resting place.

March 11, 1932

Ike W. Gibbons, one of our old respected colored citizens residing in the fifth district, died at his home last Saturday. He was about 90 years of age. He owned a large farm, and raised a large family and was successful. May he rest in peace.

March 11, 1932

Annie Mizell, colored, wife of Will Mizell, died at her home eight miles east of Jasper last Saturday and was buried Sunday. She was a good woman, and had the respect of all white citizens who knew her, and numbered her friends of her own race by her acquaintances. She will be missed in her community. May she rest in peace.

March 18, 1932

“Dr. N.B. Shade Dies In Miami Hospital, Age 82”

Dr. N.B. Shade was born in Pennsylvania March 26, 1849, grew to manhood on a farm, was a graduate of two medical colleges. He was a prominent physician in Baltimore for 25 years then moved to Washington and practiced there for 20 years but gave up the practice in 1915 to preach the Gospel as Jesus saved him and called him in his ministry which he continued to do as long as he was able which was until February 29, 1932. He was faithful until death, he was a blessing where ever he went, especially to the children of God.

He is gone but not forgotten.

His last words on earth were: “I’ll soon be shouting with the Saints in Glory.”

He leaves to bless his memory two daughters, two sons and his wife, to meet him where parting will be no more. They have the sympathy of their many friends. May God’s blessing rest upon the entire family.

Mrs. C.D. Cooper

March 18, 1932

“Barney Cheshire Answers Final Call”

Mr. Barney Cheshire died at the Little-Griffin hospital, Valdosta, Ga., Monday morning, March 14th. Mr. Cheshire had been in failing health for several months, but continued about his business until last week when he went to the hospital for an operation in an attempt to prolong his life.

Mr. Cheshire was born and reared in Hamilton County and spent his long life of 73 years in the County, the past 35 years being spent in Jasper where he was engaged in several lines of business, making a success in all of them, his last venture being in the hardware and furniture business.

Mr. Cheshire had served the people of this county in various positions of trust and honor, and did his work honestly and faithfully, always giving a full accounting of his stewardship. He was a member of the Baptist church and carried his religious convictions and faith with him at all times. Honest in all his dealings and true to his friends, he will be sadly missed.

Surviving are his wife, two daughters, Mrs. H.R. Sheppard of Valdosta, Mrs. H.D. Stewart of Jasper, and two sisters, Mrs. John Tavell of Genoa, and Mrs. Eliza DeLoach of Rossburg, Fla.

He was laid to rest in Evergreen cemetery Tuesday afternoon by his Masonic brethren of John M. Caldwell Lodge No. 70, F.&A.M., after the services being conducted in the First Baptist church, Rev. R.P. McPherson officiating, arrangements being in charge of John Sineath and the Tuten Undertaking Parlors.

A good man, who served faithfully and well, having finished his work, crosses the valley of death to sleep in the care of his Master.

March 18, 1932

“General J.S. Frink Is Laid To Rest”

John S. Frink, prominent citizen in the affairs of Hamilton County for more than a half century, died at his home in this city Monday night at 9:30 o’clock following an illness of more than a year.

General Frink was born in Chadbourn, N.C., December 22, 1842, and at the age of 17 enlisted in Co. H. North Carolina Infantry volunteers. In 1864 he was transferred to the cavalry where he remained until the close of the war. He saw actual service in many of the famous battles that have gone down in history, and was present when Gen. Stonewall Jackson, was killed.

He was brigadier general of the First Florida Brigade, United Confederate Veterans for several years and major general of the General Florida Division of Confederate Veterans in 1927.

At Darlington, S.C., in 1877, he was married to Leila Clarice Bell, whom he brought to Jasper as a bride. She died in 1913.

For many years he was engaged in the naval stores andn mercantile business in Jasper and was very successful. He had held various County and municipal officers and served the people honestly, faithfully and well.

He was a member of the Baptist Church, and for many years was Superintendent of the Sunday School and was always a liberal contributor to the church and the unfortunate.

General Frink was honest and sincere in all his dealings with his fellowman, his word was his bond and he never straddled an issue, but had convictions and stood by them.

The funeral services were held at the home at 10:30 o’clock Wednesday morning, Rev. R.P. McPherson, of the Baptist church, assisted by Rev. Montgomery of the Presbyterian church, officiating, funeral arrangements being in charge of the Tuten Undertaking Parlsor. Interment was in Evergreen cemetery. The floral offerings were numerous and very beautiful, and the large number attending the service and interment was a testimonial of the great respect and esteem in which he was held by his friends.

Gen. Frink is survived by three sons and two daughters, William J. and C.M. Frink, of Lake Wales, Russell L. Frink of Jacksonville, Miss Nellie Frink of Jasper, and Mrs. James Q. Jeffords of Florence, S.C.

His life work ended, the old soldier has “crossed over the river to rest under the shade of the trees.”

March 25, 1932

“Mrs. J.T. Hammock”

Mrs. J.T. Hammock was born in Crawford County, Ga., December 17, 1851, and passed to her reward from Moultrie, Ga., the night of March 17th, and was buried at Jennings Bluff near Jennings, Fla., on March 18th. She was the mother of twelve children, ten living to be grown. She was converted and joined the Methodist church in 1888. She was a good woman, leaving a beautiful life of faithfulness to remind her loved ones and friends how to live. Her son, J.T. Hammock, brought her body to its last resting place where it was tenderly laid by the body of her devoted husband to await the resurrection morning, Rev. F.P. McCall officiating.

March 25, 1932

“Mrs. Emily Cone Pound”

Emily Branch Cone was born September 15, 1890, near White Springs, Fla., died March 17, 1932 at her home in Palatka, Fal., where she had lived for the past seventeen years. She was the daughter of J.R. Cone and Elizabeth Goodbread Cone.

She was married to George S. Pound June 16, 1912, and to this union three sons were born, George S., Jr., John Cone, and Frank Stewart Pound.

She was a faithful member of the Baptist church, having joined in

Not finished

April 8, 1932

“10 Month Old Son Dies”

Edward Wallace, the 10-month old son of Mr. and Mrs. D.W. Brown of Jacksonville, passed away Monday afternoon, March 21 at 8:30, from a short illness of pneumonia and was laid to rest in Prospect cemetery Tuesday afternoon.

It leaves to mourn its passing, its father and mother, 2 brothers, 4 sisters and a host of other relatives and many friends. May it rest in peace.

Mr. and Mrs. Brown were both born and reared in this county and will have the sympathy of all that knew them.

“Suffer little children to come unto me for of such is the Kingdom of God.”

By one who loved him.

April 15, 1932

“Israel James McCall”

Israel James McCall was born on his father’s farm in the Seventh district of Hamilton County, April 3rd, 1871. He died at his home in Jasper, Thursday afternoon, April 7th, 1932, being 61 years of age.

He was educated in the common schools of the county, and in young manhood taught school for several years. In 1896 he was elected clerk of the circuit court and served two terms. He served two terms as representative in the legislature and one term as senator, and several terms as Mayor of Jasper.

He was active in the councils of the democratic party serving as chairman of the county committee, treasurer of the state committee and at the time of his death was chairman of the Second Congressional executive committee.

When serving this county as clerk of the court he studied law and was admitted to the bar and rose rapidly in the profession and was considered one of the ablest attorneys of the State bar.

He was an active member of the Methodist church of this city and one of the large contributors to all church activities.

He was loyal to his friends, personal and political, possessed of a keen analytical mind, a quick thinker which made him a valuable asset in any and all questions coming up for decision.

His funeral was held at the Methodist church last Saturday morning at ten o’clock, the services being in charge of his pastor, Rev. J.L. Hunter, assisted by Rev. F.P. McCall and Rev. J.A. Montgomery. The active pallbearers were the Stewards of the church: Graham Black, C.B. Harrison, W.W. Bradshaw, O.A. Worley, J.Y. Register, the honorary pallbearers being: Circuit Judges M.F. Horne of Jasper, Hal W. Adams of Mayo, State Attorney J.R. Kelley of Madison, Judge C.E. Davis of Madison, Judge A.C. Johnson of Live Oak, Judge B.B. Johnson of Jasper, J.B. Hodges of Lake City, Stafford Caldwell and R.L. Frink of Jacksonville, J.L. Blackwell of Live Oak, R.C. Horne of Madison, Bamberg Harrell, Chandler Bamberg and C.A. Avriett of the Jasper bar, funeral arrangements being in charge of the Tuten Funeral Parlor, interment being in Evergreen cemetery.

He is survived by his wife, Mrs. Bertha Duncan McCall and daughter, Mrs. Otis Horne of Atlanta, Ga., and son, Ralph, student at Cumberland University, Lebanon, Tenn.

I.J. McCall will be missed by the people of Hamilton county and his hundreds of friends in all sections of the State.

May his rest be sweet.

April 15, 1932

“G. W. Smith Died April 7th; In 80th Year”

Mr. G.W. Smith passed aaway last Thursday, April 7th in his 80th year of age, at the home of his son, J.A. Smith. He was born near Cordele, Ga., in 1853, and moved to this county in 1896. He was engaged in farming for several years but for the last few years was engaged in the grocery business in Jasper, but about two years ago failing health compelled him to retire.

About 53 years ago he was married to Miss Lucy Virginia Goodman of Cordele, Ga., who preceded him in death two years last March 15th.

He had been a member of the Missionary Baptist Church since early manhood and at the time of his death was a member of the First Baptist Church of Jasper. He was always honest in his dealing with his fellowman.

He was laid to rest in Old Mt.

Not finished

April 22, 1932

“Boy Killed By Car”

Paul Baysdorfer of Omaha, Neb., wa sinstantly killed Tuesday of last week by an automobile said to have been driven by B.D. Tuttle of Wallet Lake, Mich. The accident occurred about a mile south of Jasper. The boyd of the boy was prepared for burial by the Tuten Funeral Parlor and shipped to Jacksonville for burial. The boy was hit and killed when he got out of his family car to recover his mother’s hat which had blown out of the window. Mr. Tuttle was held until a full investigation was made which absolved him of all blame, it being an unavoidable accident. He paid the parents of the boy $400 for burial expense and left for his Michigan home.

April 22, 1932

“Brown Stewart Killed With Knife”

Brown Stewart, a colored laborer at the Maxwell Bros. mill north of town, was instantly killed by Floyd Harper, another negro laborer, Tuesday night about twelve o’clock, Stewart being stabbed with a pocket knife, the trouble leading up to the killing being about a woman.

Immediately after the killing Harper left afoot north bound on the A.C.L. railroad and was captured north of Homerville, Ga., brought back to Jasper and lodged in jail to await the action of the grand jury.

Stewart was prepared for burial by the Tuten Funeral Parlor being buried Wednesday in the colored cemetery.

May 6, 1932

“Death Claims L.H. Herndon”

Following a two week’s illness of facial erysipelas, L.H. Herndon passed away at his home in the Bellville community at 1 A.M. Thursday, April 28.

Funeral services conducted by the Reverend Nease, were held at the Bellville cemetery yesterday afternoon at 4 o’clock.

Mrs. Herndon was about 37 years of age. He was the eldest son of Mr. and Mrs. F.L. Herndon of this County. He is survived by his widow, who is the daughter of Mr. J.A. Williams of Hickory Grove. Several children also survive.

The deceased was a member of the Hickory Grove Methodist church. He was engaged in farming at the time of his death and was a prominent figure in the community. His death has caused great sorrow among a wide circle of relatives and friends. – Madison Enterprise Recorder.

May 13, 1932

“Miss Annie B. Montgomery Passes To Her Reward”

Miss Annie B. Montgomery passed away at 8:15 p.m., May 8th, at her home in Jasper. She leaves to mourn her loss a devoted father and mother. Rev. and Mrs. J.A. Montgomery, of Lake City; five sisters, Miss Mamie Lila Montgomery and Miss Margaret Montgomery of Jasper; Miss Kate W. Montgomery, of Tallahassee; Mrs. J.F. Daniel, of Reidsville, N.C.; and Miss Lily S. Montgomery, of Mebane, N.C.

She was bron at Gonzales, Texas, January 1890, and before being confined to a wheel chair, was a very successful teacher in the State Woman’s College. She had been a sufferer for several years, yet her life was filleld with precious ministrations which were blessings to many. She was active in church work, ttaking a great interest in the Christian Endeavor and the work of the young people of the church. Her life was a beautiful example and she will be sadly missed.

The funeral was held at the home in Jasper at 4 o’clock p.m., May 9, and was largely attended by both local and out of town people, Rev. E.W. Way of Jacksonville, officiating. After the funeral the body was shipped to Reidsville, N.C., for interment.

Among the out of town people attending the funeral were: Mr. and Mrs. W.M. Hackney, Mrs. George Adicks, Mrs. L.M. Anderson, Mrs. A.L. Reese, Mr. Eff, of the faculty of Columbia High School, Mrs. W.L. Irvine, Mr. and Mrs. George Roberts, Mrs. L.C. Green, Mrs. T.C. Sinquefield, Mr. and Mrs. M.M. Brown, Dr. and Mrs. R.B. Harkness, Mr. and Mrs. F.H. Young, Mrs. Foreman, Mr. J.F. McRae, Miss Velma Lee, Miss Trevor McRae, Miss Hazel Long, Miss Rebecca Holmes all of Lake City; Mr. Thomas of Branford, Fla., Mrs. W.G. Holmes of North Carolina; Mr. Harry Horn of Live Oak; Mrs. E.W. Way, of Jacksonville. The following boy scouts of troop No. 2 of Lake City, attended in a body: John Seegars, Forrest Bradbury, Wallace Jopling, Harold Cruz, James Young Wilson, Alex Stephens, Jarod Shackelford and J.L. Edwards.

Deceased was held in highest esteem which was attested by the large attendance at the funeral and the many beautiful floral offerings.

Funeral arrangements were in charge of Wilson Burial Association, Inc., of Lake City, of which she was a member.

May 21, 1932

“W.W. McGhin”

Mr. W.W. McGhin, an employee of the Florida Power Corporation, died in a hospital at Bushnell Thursday afternoon of last week at 4:35 o’clock.

He was born near Jasper June 16, 1881. He was taken sick Saturday, May 7, 1932 and rushed to the hospital and operated upon for appendicitis Sunday night and never recovered.

His body was brought to Jasper and laid to rest in Evergreen cemetery Saturday afternoon after services were held in the Second Adventist Church of which he had been a member for many years, the services being conducted by Eld. Burr A.L. Bixler of Live Oak.

He is survived by his wife and four children who have the sympathy of all who know them, in their sad bereavement.

He sleeps to await the resurrection morning.

May 21, 1932

“Andrew A. Avriett”

Andrew A. Avriett passed away May 16th at his home in Jennings, Fla. Mr. Avriett was 55 years old. He was born and lived his entire life in Hamilton County. He had been a sufferer for more than eight years, while his death came not unexpected it was a great shock to his loved ones and friends. He leaves his widow, Mrs. Carry Shaw Avriett and several children to mourn his going: Mrs. T.E. McCall of Greenville, Fla.; Mrs. George Truitt of Jacksonville; Mrs. Randolph Prine, Jacksonville, and one son, Roland, who is in the u.s. Navy stationed at Pensacola, Fla. Mr. Avriett was 59 years old. and three sisters, Mrs. W.A. Roebuck, West Palm Beach; Mrs. Mamie Morgan, South Jacksonville; Mrs. C.Y. Byrd, Live Oak; and one brother, Jep Avriett of Louisiana, and many other relatives and friends.

Mr. Avriett was laid to rest in the Sasser Landing Cemetery. He was a loyal member of the Missionary Baptist church. The funeral service was conducted by Rev. Pyle, pastor of Lee Street Baptist church, Valdosta, Ga., assisted by Rev. Thomas of Jennings and Rev. Hunter of Jasper.

After so many years of intense pain and suffering it is a blessed assurance to know that he has gone to the Home where pain and suffering are no more.

May 27, 1932

“Infant Son Of Mr. And Mrs. Curtis Clayton Dead”

Teddy Jack Clayton, son of Mr. and Mrs. Curtis Clayton, of Jennings died at his home on May 18th. Teddy Jack was ten months old. The little fellow had been sick but a few days, suffering from pneumonia. He leaves his father and mother and one sister, Rebba Ivone, 2 years old. The funeral services were conducted by Rev. J.L. Hunter of the Methodist church, assisted by Rev. F.P. McCall. Interment was in the Sasser Landing cemetery on the afternoon of the 19th.

May 27, 1932

“Last Rites Held For Mrs. Jennings In Florida”

Mrs. Mary Catherine Jennings, 42, member of a prominent and widely connected Hamilton County, Florida family, died at the home of her mother, Mrs. Angeline Nunn, Jennings, Tuesday afternoon following an illness of several months. Funeral services were held at Jennings yesterday.

Mrs. Jennings had been living in Tampa for several years and was visiting her mother at the time of her death.

She was a member of a prominent Jennings family of Hamilton County, and the same family for which the town of Jennings was named. She was known throughout the county and highly esteemed by all who knew her.

Survivors, the husband, George Jennings of Tampa and one daughter, Margaret Angeline, age 8, and her mother, Mrs. Nunn. Three brothers, Frank Nunn of Augusta and J.L. and Glen Nunn of Jennings, also survive.

Funeral services, arrangements for which were in charge of John Sineath, were held from the home of the mother. Rev. J.L. Hunter, pastor of the First Methodist church of Jasper, and Rev. F.P. McCall, of Jasper, officiating.

Pall bearers for the funeral were Messers J.V. McCall, A.C. Stephens, H.C. Zipperer, George Perry, I.B. Butler and Ike Shiver. – Valdosta Times.

June 10, 1932

“City Marshal Fowler Murdered By Negro”

Negro Burned at State by Infuriated Citizens

City Marshal Ira Fowler was shot to death by a negro by the name of Henry Woods last Friday about one o’clock, and escaped to a swamp nearby.

The negro had served a term in the Michigan gang for breaking and entering, and given a parole and once each month he reported to marshal Fowler for him to sign his papers of good behavior. The Marshall had signed his papers on the day of death and after signing them it was reported to him that Woods was riding around in a stolen automobile.

The marshal went to arrest him for the theft of the automobile and chased him across town and near the residence of Mr. Bamberg, in the southern part of town, he captured him and while in the act of placing the hand cuffs on him the negro grabbed the marshal’s pistol from the holster and shot him dead, taking the pistol with him into the swamp.

A posse of citizens was soon formed and went in pursuit of the negro, and dogs from Georgia and the state prison farm at Raiford, were ordered to assist in the chase.

Friday night the negro sneaked into town and with his woman broke into the home of Mrs. I. J. McCall and spent the night, stealing some of Mr. McCall’s clothing, and made his way early Saturday morning to a large swamp east of Jasper.

Some time Saturday he passed through Jasper while the posse was searching the swamps east of town and made his way to the swamp southwest of Jasper.

The chase continued through Saturday night, Sunday, Sunday night, and Monday by several hundred citizens with dogs, within a radius of about four miles square until Monday night about eight o’clock.

Bully Williams, Minor Ellison and Lucius Allen, three colored citizens residing on the Mac Williams farm southwest of town, made contact with the negro, having made previous arrangements with the sheriff to arrive on the scene at a certain hour when they were to carry the negro supper to a certain point in the swamp. Instead of carrying the supper, they captured him and tied his arms and had him on a truck belonging to Jesse Mitchell and were on their way to Jasper to deliver him to the sheriff when the sheriff arrived on the scene. As soon as the negro recognized the sheriff he jumped from the truck and made for the swamp, being stopped by a load of buckshot from an automatic shot gun in the hands of the sheriff.

The body of the negro was brought to Jasper where it was turned over to the undertaker. Shortly after being turned over to the undertaker, a posse of citizens, several hundred strong, took the body an carried it to a point about two miles southeast of Jasper, placed it on a log heap, saturated with gasoline and fired it.

All during the balance of the night the scene of the fire was visited by car loads of citizens from all sections of Hamilton county and many coming over from Live Oak and Lake City to witness the grewsome scene of a negro burning at the stake.

Marshal Fowler was 43 years of age, and is survived by his wife an son, who have the sincere sympathy of all our people in their great loss.

He was laid to rest in Evergreen cemetery Sunday afternoon, Rev. J. L. Hunter of the Methodist church preaching the funeral sermon, Tuten Undertaking Parlors being in charge of the funeral arrangements.

Mr. Fowler was a member of the Tuten Burial Association and was the first member to pass to the great beyond.

June 10, 1932

“Mrs. A. B. Small Killed When Run Over By Auto”

Miami, June 8, – Mrs. A. B. Small, wife of judge of the Dade County Civil Court of Record and sister of Stafford Caldwell, Democratic candidate for governor of Florida, died at a hospital today after physicians said she apparently suffered a heart attack and fell in the path of an automobile being backed from a garage by her daughter.

Victoria Hospital authorities said the car passed over Mrs. Small, crushing her chest. Her physician said she probably fell as she attempted to pass behind the reversed automobile.

The daughter, Mrs. Martha Small Pittman, had started to take her to town when the accident occurred, and did not know that Mrs. Small attempted to pass behind the car as it moved in reverse gear.

Mrs. Pittman rushed Mrs. Small who was 65, to a hospital where she died a few minutes after arrival. Mrs. Small’s physician said her heart was weak and that she had recently been under a strain. – Times-Union

July 1, 1932

“Mrs. J.C. Bell, Dead”

Mrs. J.C. Bell of Waycross, Ga., died at her home in that city last Saturday night at 10:30 o’clock, very suddenly and unexpectedly to the family, heart failure being the cause of her death.

Mrs. Bell was a sister of our fellow townsman, Mr. H.M. Tuten, and for a long time she and her husband were residents of Jasper, moving to Waycross some twenty five years ago.

She was 65 years of age, and is survived by her husband, and five children, all grown, many relatives in this county and a large circle of friends to mourn her death.

She was buried in the Waycross cemetery Sunday morning, many sorrowing friends paying tribute to her memory. A good mother has finished her life work and fallen asleep to rest until she is called forth by the Savior to put on newness of life to live in the city of the redeemed.

August 19, 1932

“W.H. Stormant Dead”

Mr. W.H. Stormant died at his home near White Springs Wednesday morning at five o’clock and was buried at Swift Creek cemetery on Thursday morning at ten o’clock. Rev. Kemp, pastor of the Methodist church at White Springs, officiating, funeral arrangements being in charge of the Wilson Burial Association of Lake City.

He is survived by his widow, Mrs. Georgian Stormant and six sons, J.B., E.R., J.F., J.P., and C.W. Stormant of White Springs and C.R. Stormant of Altoona, one sister, Mrs. J.A. Wright of Kelsey City and two brothers, E.A. Stormant of Miami and J.E. Stormant of White Springs.

The entire family express their thanks and appreciation to their neighbors and friends for the kindness shown them during his illness and death.

“A good man has gone to his eternal reward.”

August 26, 1932

“Alonzo Dees Passes Away”

Mr. A.L. Dees passed away quietly last Tuesday after a lingering sickness of about three years. He was born in Hamilton County, February 28, 1888. He married Miss Rosa L. Boone March 8, 1908. To this union were born two children, James N. Dees and Lottie Mae Dees. He is also survived by a daughter-in-law and a grandson. He was engaged in the furniture business at the time he was taken sick. By advice of his physician he sold his furniture store and moved to Orlando and remained there a year. He had just purchased a farm out from Jasper at the time of his death. He will always be remembered by his goodness and willingness to help others. He was a good husband and father, also a good Christian, becoming a Christian when just a young man. He is now at rest with his Heavenly Father.

September 16, 1931

“Mrs. Lily Rouse Died Saturday Night”

Mrs. Lilly Rouse, widow of the late George B. Rouse, died at the home of Mrs. Mamie Bryan in this city, last Saturday night at 7:45 o’clock, having been in failing health for more than two years. She was 57 years of age, a member of the Second Adventist church, and is survived by one son, Col. D.V. Rouse of Avon Park.

She was buried in Evergreen cemetery Sunday afternoon, the funeral sermon being delivered by Eld. B.A.L. Bixler of Live Oak, assisted by Rev. Hunter of the local Methodist church, arrangements being in charge of Tuten Funeral Parlor.

Mrs. Rouse was born and reared in Echoes county, Georgia, being a daughter of the late Elihu Morgan, one of the oldest families in this section. She was a good woman in all the relations of life and now sleeps the sleep of the saved to await the resurrection when she will be joined by all the hosts of heaven.

October 21, 1932

“Dock Gamble Dead”

Mr. Dock Gamble died at his home in Suwannee county last Friday night and was buried in the Clardy graveyard in this county Sunday afternoon, Rev. Montgomery, assisted by Eld. Day and Mr. Wise, officiating at the grave.

Mr. Gamble was born and reared in Georgia, moving to this county when a young man and married Eva Clardy, and by this union he is survived by three children, Mrs. N.M. McLeod, Mrs. A.R. McLeod of this county and Mrs. Melindy, of Wauchula.

After the death of his first wife he married Mrs. Lola Mickler of Suwannee county and continued his residence here for several years then moving to Suwannee county, where he resided until death, being survived by his widow.

He was 76 years of age, was well known in both counties and parts of Georgia and enjoyed the friendship of all who knew him. He was a farmer and was successful, honest in his dealings with his fellow men and many will regret that in this life they will see him no more.

The bereaved ones have the sympathy of all who know them.

October 21, 1932

“Wayne Johnson Dead”

Mr. Wayne Johnson of the Sixth district, died at his home Wednesday, aged 76 years. He was buried in Burnham church yard Thursday, Tuten Funeral Home being in charge of the arrangements. He is survived by his wife. Mr. Johnson was a successful farmer, a good neighbor, liberal to all in need and honest in his dealings. He will be sadly missed in his community and by a large circle of friends. He will sleep until awakened by his Saviour in the resurrection morning to put on newness of life.

November 24, 1932

“Jennings Resident Passes Thursday”

Mrs. B.F. Woodward, well known and highly esteemed Jennings woman, died at her home last week of an illness of several days duration. She was 65 years of age.

Mrs. Woodward had been in delicate health for several months. She was stricken with paralysis Monday and her condition became steadily weaker.

A member of one of the most prominent families in northern Florida. She leaves a wide circle of friends who will be grieved at her passing. Mrs. Woodward was Miss Huldah Jennings before her marriage. She was a sister of the late Mr. T.A. Jennings, president of the Jennings Naval Stores Co., of Pensacola, Florida and former speaker of the Florida house of representatives; Mr. J.R. Jennings, president of the Bank of Jennings and Mr. W.P. Jennings.

She was a member of the Methodist church.

Funeral services were held at the family residence in Jennings, the pastor of the Jasper Methodist Church officiating. Interment was in the Jennings Bluff cemetery, the family burial place.

November 24, 1932

“Jesse Thomas Dead At White Springs Home”

Jess I. Thomas of White Springs, passed away last Wednesday morning at 10:30 o’clock. He was one of Hamilton county’s oldest and best known citizens. Funeral was held at Pool Pond cemetery, Thursday afternoon at 2:30 o’clock.

December 2, 1932

“Mrs. Mary Fennell Dies At Home In Valdosta”

Mrs. Mary Fennell, 61 years of age, died last Tuesday at Valdosta at 3 p.m. and was buried at Hebron cemetery Wednesday afternoon. The Tuten Funeral Parlor was in charge of arrangements.

December 2, 1932

“Suwannee County Representative Dies”

Live Oak, Nov. 30. – Representative-Elect J.L. Payne, 46, succumbed to an attack of influenza at his home here, early this morning. After being taken sick he failed rapidly, death coming four days after his illness began.

Mr. Payne was a veterarian, having lived in Suwannee county for the last 18 years and was well known throughout this section. He was born in Trenton, Ga.

Funeral services will be held in Chattanooga, Tenn., the body being shipped there. Mr. Payne is survived by his widow and several relatives in Chattanooga.

December 9, 1932

“Dr. A.S. York Dies in St. Petersburg”

Dr. Appelas S. York, 60, past grand master of the Masonic Lodge of Florida, and well known in Jasper, died suddenly Tuesday night in St. Petersburg at 11:45, at the Masonic Home there.

A trustee since the erection of the home, Dr. York went there Sunday on business connected with the institution. Dr. York had started to retire when he was stricken.

He was widely known among Florida fraternal orders. He was a member of the American Dental Society.

Survivors include one son, Dr. Fred M. York, St. Petersburg, a brother, Will York, Orlando, and a sister, Mrs. J.E. Maines, Lake Butler. Dr. York made his home in Lake Butler.

He was buried in Royal Palm cemetery, St. Petersburg Thursday afternoon at 2 o’clock by the Grand Lodge, F.&A.M. of Florida, Past Grand Master Stafford Caldwell conducting the services.

A more extended notice will be published next week.

December 9, 1932

“Father of Methodist Pastor Here is Dead”

On the eve of leaving for the Florida Methodist Conference, Rev. J.L. Hunter received a telegram of his father’s death, at his home in Savannah, Ga. The pastor has the sympathy of a large circle of friends in this sad hour. The elder Hunter had been in failing health for some time and his death did not come unexpected. Upon Rev. Hunter’s last visit to his father’s bedside, he told his son, that he was ready to go, should he never get up.

Of peculiar interest to the many friends of Mr. Hunter here, his father was never converted until after his son became a minister. He did not wish his son to become a preacher but wished him to become a banker. It was during one of his son’s meetings that he was converted and became a Christian, and led a Christian life until his death, bringing younger sons and daughters up around the family alter.

Besides the Jasper pastor, he leaves a widow, six sons and three daughters, all of whom have our heartfelt sympathies in their sorrow.

December 9, 1932

“Mrs. Jennie Musselwhite Died At Home Tuesday”

Mrs. Jennie Musselwhite died at her home on the Jackson farm at 11:29 o’clock Tuesday and was buried at the Hebron church cemetery Wednesday afternoon at 3 o’clock.

She was a member of the Tuten Burial Association. Mrs. Musselwhite was 35 years old and is survived by her husband, Henry Musselwhite.

December 9, 1932

“John Padget Dead”

John Padgett, “Little John” as he was known by his many friends, died at his home at Harrison’s still, six miles east of Jasper, about 9 o’clock Wednesday night of paralysis. He was about 55 years old. He was buried at Hebron cemetery Thursday afternoon at 3 o’clock, his brethren of John M. Caldwell Lodge No. 70. F&A.M. performing the last said rites, funeral arrangements being in charge of Tuten Funeral Parlor.

At the time of his death he was a valued employee of the Jasper Turpentine Co., and is survived by his widow and several children. A good man has gone to his reward.

December 16, 1932

“Mrs. Lillie N. Johns Died Here Saturday”

Following a long period of illness and patient suffering, Mrs. Lillie N. Johns passed away Saturday morning, December 10, at the home of her brother and sister-in-law, Mr. and Mrs. J.L. Hunter, where she had resided for some time prior to her death.

Mrs. Johns, who was a good woman and beloved by a host of friends, was prior to her marriage, Miss Lillie Hunter, member of one of the well known and prominently connected Hunter families of Hamilton county.

She was born at Belmont, Hamilton county, Florida, August 14th, 1871 and spent practically her entire life in Hamilton county. She was a member of Maple Grove Methodist church and also a member of Palm Grove Woodman Circle at Lake City.

She was a mother of four children, three of whom preceded her to the grave.

In addition to her brother, J.L. Hunter, with whom she made her home, the deceased is survived by one brother, T.L. Hunter, of Jacksonville and one sister, Mrs. Ethel Clifton, Lyons, Ga., and one son, C.E. Johns of Sarasota.

Funeral services were conducted by the Rev. Clements Sunday morning, December 11th at Prospect church after which interment in the family burial plot in Prospect cemetery followed.

The lovely floral tokens bespoke the high esteem in which the deceased was held by her many friends.

Funeral arrangements were in charge of Sherril’s Funeral Home.

December 16, 1932

“J.M. Roebuck Dead”

Mr. J.M Roebuck died at his home in the First district at one o’clock in the afternoon of December 8th and was buried in New Prospect cemetery near the old home on Friday. Rev. M.M. Fiveash of Jennings, assisted by Rev. H.O. Hughes of Jasper, conducting the services. He was 84 years of age last August and is survived by his widow and two sons, James Roebuck and Fred Roebuck, all of the First district of this county. Mr. Roebuck was a farmer, honest, sober and industrious, a good neighbor and had many friends in all sections of the county who will regret to hear of his death.

December 23, 1932

“Miss Estell McIntyre Dead”

Miss Estell McIntyre died last Monday at the home of her parents one mile southeast of Jasper, after an illness of three weeks of pneumonia.

She was fifteen years of age, a member of the Valdosta Baptist church and of the eighth grade of the Jasper high school.

She was buried at Friendship cemetery Tuesday afternoon, the services at the grave being conducted by Rev. J.L. Hunter, arrangements being in charge of Tuten Funeral Parlor. The members of her school class attended in a body and assisted in the song service.

A young girl in the bloom of life has been removed from a world of sin and now awaits the call of her Master.

We extend condolence to the bereaved.

December 23, 1932

“Brother of Governor Carlton Is Killed”

Wauchula, Dec. 21 – Carl S. Carlton, 53, brother of Gov. Doyle E. Carlton, was killed in the Everglades while on a hunting trip.

Members of the party telephoned news of his death to relatives here from Immokalee. They said his brother, Alton Carlton, shot at a deer and one of the buckshot ricocheted off a cypress tree and penetrated his brain. John B. Rooney, Hardee county school superintendent, also was a member of the party.

Mr. Carlton was a native of Hamilton county and for many years was cashier of the Carlton National Bank. He attended Stetson University and had large grove and farm interests in Hardee county.

Surviving relatives are his widow, three children; his mother, Mrs. Martha Carlton; a sister, Mrs. Ella Southeland and seven brothers.

The funeral will probably be held Friday.

December 30, 1932

“Hon. Warren M. Webb”

Hon. Warren M. Webb, prominent farmer, cattle man and progressive citizen of Hamilton county, died at his home seven miles north of Jasper last Monday and was buried in Hebron cemetery Tuesday afternoon, Elder Tom Law speaking words of comfort to the bereaved, the arrangements being in charge of Tuten Funeral Parlor. The pall bearers were: C.B. Harrison, K.L. Sandlin, F.B. Harrell, W.W. Brardshaw, Grif J. Register and Walter Prayther.

He was 66 years of age and is survived by his widow and seven children: Walter Webb of Tampa; Mrs. H.L. High of Jacksonville, John Webb, Thomas Webb, Misses Viola and Dyse Webb and Mrs. A.E. Nonenberg, of Jasper.

Warren Webb was nominated in the primary and elected in the general election for member of the school board and would have taken office next Tuesday. Besides this office he had been honored by his people as a member of the Board of County Commissioners of which he served two terms as chairman and he served one term as representative in the legislature and as trustee of the Jasper high school.

Warren Webb was honest, had convictions and stood by them though he stood along, was true to his friends and was held in high esteem by all who knew him.

Hamilton county is better by his having been here, reared and living here and poorer by him being called away.

December 30, 1932

“Mrs. Ella Petty”

Mrs. Ella Petty died at her home in this city at 8:37 o’clock on the morning of December 23rd and was burried in Evergreen cemetery Saturday morning at ten o’clock, the funeral service being conducted by Eld. Festus day, assisted by Rev. Montgomery.

Arrangements were in charge of Tuten Funeral Parlor.

Deceased was 57 years, eight months of age, a member of the Second Adventist church and is survived by two daughters, Mrs. Cecil Hodge and Mrs. Kelly Trip, both of this city and three sisters, Mrs. Ida McDaniel of Adel, Mrs. H.M. Hall of Zephyrshills, Mrs. W.J. Duckworth of this city and three brothers, W.R., E.P and C.N. McDonald of this city. Her life work is ended and she sleeps to await the resurrection morning. The bereaved have the sympathy of all who know them.


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s


Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: